Glass Balustrades Vs. Traditional Railings: Which One Is Better?
You’ve just walked into the modern home of a new acquaintance, and there’s a fantastic staircase in the foyer. You notice that it’s adorned with a sleek, transparent barrier, allowing an unobstructed view of the entire living space. It suits the style of the home perfectly and when you mention this to your host, they are excited to tell you about their new glass balustrade. You consider your own staircase at home and its traditional wooden railing and wonder if a glass balustrade might be better. Read on to learn more about how glass balustrades compare to traditional railings.
The Artistry Of A Glazier: Glass Balustrades Vs. Wooden Railings
A glazier’s role in crafting a glass balustrade is intricate. Using toughened glass, often up to 12mm thick, they ensure safety and elegance. On the other hand, wooden railings, though classic, require a different set of skills, focusing on carving and polishing.
Glass balustrades offer a minimalist, modern appeal, enhancing the space by allowing uninterrupted views. Wooden railings, with their traditional charm, bring warmth but might make a space feel confined.
Durability & Maintenance
Glass balustrades, especially those crafted by experts like Frameless Shower Installations, are durable and easy to maintain. Wooden railings, while sturdy, may require frequent polishing and are susceptible to termites.
Glass Stair Balustrades: Merging Modernity With Tradition
You’ve noticed your traditional wooden railings are starting to show wear and tear. After visiting your friend’s modern home and seeing their glass stair balustrade, you decide to upgrade.
- The Decision: Inspired by the sleek design and the spacious feel the glass balustrade offered.
- Transformation Process: The transition from wooden to glass is smooth, with the glazier ensuring the new balustrade blends seamlessly with the home’s aesthetics.
- Challenges & Solutions: While you had some initial concerns about the strength of the balustrades, the glazier used toughened glass, ensuring safety and elegance.
Frameless Glass Balustrades Vs. Metal Railings: Pros And Cons At A Glance
Traditional railings, while often crafted from wood, can also frequently be made of metal. Refer to the handy table below for the pros and cons of glass vs metal railings.
Frameless Glass Balustrades
Seamless with expert glazier
Easy to clean
Might rust over time
Understanding Glass Balustrades: A Clear Advantage Over Traditional Railings
- Transparency & Space: Glass balustrades enhance space perception, making areas look larger and more open. They allow for natural light, which can reduce energy costs and create a more harmonious indoor environment.
- Durability: Made with toughened glass, they’re built to last, especially when installed by professionals.
- Role of a Professional Glazier: A glazier ensures the balustrade is installed securely and precisely, meeting safety standards and aesthetic preferences.
Maintenance & Appeal
Glass balustrades are relatively easy to maintain, requiring occasional cleaning to keep them spotless. They offer a sleek, modern appeal that can make spaces feel larger and more open. Wooden railings, on the other hand, might need regular polishing to maintain their sheen and periodic checks for pests.
Transform Your Space
At Frameless Shower Installations our team has spent over 20 years working with glass. We are dedicated to providing quality service and products for your needs. For those contemplating a home or office revamp, get in touch with us today via our contact page or give us a call for more information or for a free quote. Let’s transform your space together!